February 1, 2010

Servitude

So I'm working on a novel, and if I post a chapter here every now and then, would I get feedback?


Anyway, as I said in an earlier post, working at Chili's has really got me thinking about servitude and the importance it serves in society.  The difference you can make in a person's life just by serving them is a great responsibility that should not be ignored.  Now I'm not talking about getting someone a beer from the bar and serving them boneless buffalo wings at a restaurant, but rather taking the time to feed the homeless or donating to the local goodwill (or to any Haiti relief fund for that matter).  The reward received for taking time to serve is greater than any material possession could ever hope to be.  


Jesus served and sacrificed more than any person in history.  Pretty sure that dying for the sins of humanity is the ultimate service, but I digress.  His life is an example of helping those in need and being the ultimate servant for God.  Nothing was ever too great or too small for Jesus, and he took time for even the tiniest request.  My point is, be a servant for God first, and be a servant to your fellow human beings second.  Both are rewarding not only in this life, but the next. Galatians 5:13 & 14 says:  "For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'"


I myself am striving to be a better servant everyday.  My selfishness has cost me friendships, relationships, and much more over the course of my 23 years, and I refuse to let it happen again.  Try to do the same, you won't regret it.  



1 comment:

Megan said...

I will comment! :)