June 25, 2010

Nowhere

I always say this after I go an extended period of time without blogging, but I'm going to try to write a little bit more, especially now that I'm on the road and away from home for the rest of the summer.

I will update my life as things have been pretty crazy since the middle of May.  As the whole world knows I've been trying to play some sort professional baseball for a long time. This year alone I've tried of for the Fort Worth Cats, the Laredo Broncos, and the Coastal Bend Thunder, in that order, with only the Thunder giving me any kind of real chance.  I was eventually signed by the Desert Valley Mountain Lions of the Continental Baseball League.  The team is based in El Paso, Texas, which is a far cry from Corpus Christi... or Dallas... or civilization.  Nowhere.

We are actually in Alpine, Texas, this weekend for a series against the Big Bend Cowboys.  Alpine is really in the middle of nowhere.  It's about 60 miles from any major highway.  Desolation.  Nowhere.

I really am enjoying myself though.  My roommates are hysterical, especially the dude from Georgia. The other guy is from Connecticut.  We've also got a guy from Australia, one from Canada, one big dude from Florida, etc. And we all have a couple things in common:

1 - we love baseball
2 - we are literally in the middle of nowhere

Another note: my first inning as a professional was tonight.  We were down by 11 runs when I came in (yes 11).  I was somewhat erratic tonight, but I attribute that mostly to my outrageous adrenaline level.  Needless to say I was pretty pumped up.  Walked a couple, but also struck out two and gave up one hit.  Not the greatest debut in the world, but I'll take it.  I'm looking forward to my next outing and getting better from here, even if I am in the middle of nowhere.

To any and all my friends who read this - I already miss you dearly but really appreciate the support you've all shown me through your Facebook comments, Tweets, phone calls, and text messages.  Love all y'all.

2 comments:

Megan said...

:)

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.